Careful organisation and forward planning can minimise the
stress of moving house. Use this moving checklist once you have
signed Conditions of Sale to help guide you through the weeks
leading up to your moving day.
Six weeks before the move
- If you are renting, notify your landlord/lady of your moving
- Check your home insurance - make sure you have cover from the
day you move to your new home.
- Obtain written quotes from several removal firms. Get
references and check the limit of their insurance.
- If you are not using professional removers, ask friends and
family to help.
- Book extra storage if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your departure.
- Start getting rid of possessions you no longer
need. Decide which items can be taken to a charity
shop, sold at car boot sales, or offered to your friends.
- If you need new furniture or carpets - order them now and
arrange delivery/fitting for soon after you move in.
Two weeks before the move
- Start packing non-essential items such as books, DVD's, CD's
and non-seasonal clothes into boxes.
- Contact the Post Office and arrange for your post to be
forwarded (you may be charged a fee for this service).
- Notify your newsagent/milkman that you will be moving and give
them a date you want the service to stop.
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after
them during your move.
- Make a list of friends and family who should know about your
move. Send out change of address cards.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm
arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your
- Notify your bank of any changes to direct debits and standing
Who to notify
- Post Office
- Cable/Satellite and Internet service providers
- TV/video rental companies
- TV Licensing
- Credit card companies
- National Savings and Premium Bonds
- Your employer
- Insurance companies (car, boat, life etc.)
- Pension companies
- Income Tax Department
- Social Security Department
- Vehicle Registration & Licensing
- Friends and relatives
- Clubs (Gym/private club)
Finally arrange a house warming party and enjoy your new home
with friends and family!